Crafting on a Budget: Part 1

      March is National Craft Month and crafting is a huge passion and love of mine (but, I couldn't wait until March so I'm going to do it for the month of February instead!). Everything from cards to signs, scrapbooking, painting, and just cute home decor in general. Because of this, I thought it would be really fun to do a blogging series on some crafty and home decor things you can do (and on a budget to boot!). This month I'll aim to begin with why I love crafting so much (this post), followed by 4 wreaths you can make for under $10, 5 upcycled bird feeders that don't look tacky, and ways to decorate using only the Dollar Store as your find spot. I'm excited to have you along for the journey!


Why I Love to Craft
     There are two things you should know about me: 
      1. I love decorating--holidays, seasons, special occasions, I will take any opportunity to decorate.

     2. I thrive on thriftiness-whether it's thrift store shopping, going through the clearance racks, re-purposing something I already have, or just shopping savvy- I love it. It seriously gives me such a rush. 

     Both thriftiness and decorating can actually go great together--and does when it comes to our house. I take both into consideration when I'm crafting anything. I'm able to stretch my money much farther this way. One of my favorite places in the apartment to decorate is the front door area. Now since we do live in an apartment on the third floor, no one sees it but us and anyone who happens to come over. Though when people do visit, they know which apartment is ours. :) Regardless of who sees it, though, it makes so happy coming hope to pretty decor.

     Going back a bit, when I was little, I loved doing any sort of Sunday School craft or special projects when our Nanny would come over. We would make ornaments and gingerbread houses or just little things out of construction paper. My mom always hated crafts because of how messy and time consuming they were, but the older I got, the more I was able to do on my own. I was pretty much always working on something. I'm super thankful for my Nanny who instilled this love of crafting in me. She made all our Halloween costumes when we were growing up and is still very crafty today. She and I both like that shabby chic look. Anyway!


     I believe that Jesus gave me the passion for crafting that I have and I'm so thankful for it. It fills me up and is so life-giving for me! I honestly use crafting to de-stress. But truly, for a long time, I struggled with why Jesus would give me a love for something so silly. Crafting isn't something that has any eternal value, I thought. That is until I read something in a devotional that really struck me. If you are a follower of Jesus then you know that God is Creator and we are made in His likeness. Therefore, we were created to be creative! That doesn't always mean crafting or painting. Sometimes there is creativity in how you lead or work or raise a family. There is creativity in meals or words or how you love people. For me, though, my creativity comes through crafting. And Jesus has given me so many opportunities to bless people through my crafting and also making my home feel welcoming for guests. I'm so thankful He has given me this new insight into creativity! It has absolutely changed my perspective on my passion and what I love to do. 
     Does crafting intimidate you or do you enjoy it? How do you like to decorate your home? What ways do you feel the most creative? 
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap