Great Candy Massacre

     It was dark and cold. Everything had an orange glow. We were crammed together, waiting. We knew the outcome was inevitable. I could hear breathing, slow and shallow. I heard an odd crinkling noise as someone shifted. Any minute now....And in a moment everything changed. Bells rang constantly. Some of us were grabbed and taken away. Others were left to watch in terror. We saw very little, just flashes of color. It was the noises that got us. The near constant screams and shrieks were chilling. In my whole life I had never heard anything like it. We were warned it would be terrifying, but we were in no way prepared for that horrible night.
     All was quiet for a time. We thought perhaps it was all over, that we had somehow escaped. But the bell rang out once more, crisp and clear. I was taken, along with a few others. We were put into the hands of another. We knew we were now at their mercy. Our captors transported us to an undisclosed location where we were dumped onto a wooden surface. When we adjusted to the glaring light, we got a full view of our captor. He was short and had on a mask and black cape. Without so much as a word, I watched in horror as my friends were eaten one by one. Some were swallowed whole. Others were snapped in pieces and eaten slowly. Their blood was all over his hands and face. I wanted to be sick. How had the world come to this? It was despicable.
     Then he took his mask off. The terror that awaited me! It was a boy. How had a boy done this? How had he caused such unbelievable destruction? Back at the factory they had told us to beware witches, werewolves, ghosts, and goblins. Never did we imagine children dressed like them would be our end.  They had an insatiable blood lust, an unquenchable desire. They would never have enough.
     I could see the boy's hand reach out, dirty fingers aimed in my direction. In a moment he had a stranglehold on me as he pulled me to him. He looked at me curiously before removing my outer layer and popping me into his mouth. "It all ends here," I thought. It would all be over soon, my life cut short on this Halloween night. But before it was finished, a sudden rush of light blinded me and I was thrown to the floor in chaos. I heard from above the words, "Ew, butterscotch!" That was the only time I remember being thankful I was kids' least favorite candy. I would live, forever, ground into the carpet.

Eat Responsibly. 
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap