"I don't even have a pla-"

     Most of you know this already, but about a week ago I finished the last classes I needed to complete my bachelor's degree. It's been a very long process, but I am so thrilled to be done! Now I just wait for my diploma and cap to come in the mail. Whenever anyone hears I've finished my degree, their favorite question to ask is : "Well, what now?" No matter who asks, I try to answer honestly. "You know, I'm not really sure. I'm just taking it one day at a time." The following are my favorite responses: 
  • You have to get a Master's degree. A Bachelor's degree will do you no good.
  • Become a teacher. I hear they make a lot of money.
  • Just don't be one of those people who wastes their degree. 
  • So...why English?
  • You mean, you don't have a plan?
  • English majors never make any money.
  • Now that you're done, when are you planning on leaving Starbucks?
  • You really need to go live overseas and teach English. Like in Japan or something.
     Here's the thing...I love the advice, I do. I know everyone means well. But I really just want to enjoy being out of school and enjoy life. I don't want to have it figured out at the moment. We make enough to pay our bills. I love the people I work with even if the job itself isn't always my favorite. They are like an extended part of my family. My plan is to figure out where God wants me. Now that I'm done with school, what am I going to do? I'm gonna craft and make my home beautiful and inviting. I'm going to explore Colorado and hang out with my amazing husband. I'm going to plant flowers, read books, watch movies, and rest. I am going to let myself heal long neglected wounds. I am going to clean and cook and love people. I'm going to laugh. I'm going to invest in people. I'm going to learn to love my body as it is. I'm going to write and hope and dream. 
     So when people ask "what now?" I say,  "I live." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap