Rarely Does Vacation Change Your Life

     I've been so excited to write this blog post for the past two weeks and now I can! Jacob and I are back from our honeymoon in the US Virgin Islands and we have so many stories to tell! (Although if I told them all, this would be the longest blog post in history. If you want to know more, just ask an we will be happy to share.) Going into this vacation, we did not expect to have our lives changed, but we did. There is something about this little corner of paradise that is almost magical. It's as if the rest of the world does not exist there. 
(Borrowed this pic from Google...)
     See what I mean? This is Honeymoon Beach (ironic, no?) where we spent most of our time. It is the favorite beach on Water Island where we stayed, just a fifteen minute ferry ride from St. Thomas. We made friends with locals and tourists alike and became regulars at a little beach bar called Dinghy's. We got sunburned, went kayaking, swam and soaked in the clearest water and really just let ourselves relax and rest. I went from having a panic attack in the water on the first to day to finally, by the time we left, was able to say that I had been snorkeling three times and swam with sting rays and sea turtles. It was all thanks to my sweet and patient husband who helped me and pushed me out of my comfort zone.
     Sea turtles are my new favorite animal. They are so graceful and adorable and carefree. Their shells look hand-painted and they don't care if you watch them for hours. I came within six inches of one our first day snorkeling and it was breathtaking. Quite frankly now I just want a sea turtle tattoo. (I borrowed the below picture from Google. We weren't able to get any pictures. This is what they looked like though!)

      Outside of some awesome wildlife, we made good friends with two people working where we stayed (Lori and Maddy). We hung out a lot, teased each other a ton, and listened to each other's stories. It was powerful and really awesome. (Jacob and I want to go back and work there next summer.) It reminded both of us the sheer strength and healing in hearing someone else tell their story and in telling our own. Now we are ready and eager to hear stories everywhere we go!
     We fell in love with the island way of life. In a lot of ways, it was difficult. Water came from rain that was collected in a cistern, so it was precious and had to be used wisely. We had to take a ferry or a dinghy across to St. Thomas any time we needed groceries (or anything really). Despite these difficulties, and many others, life was simple on the island. It wasn't a game of material goods, because most people didn't have many. It wasn't about what you looked like (I used a brush four times in two weeks and my chubby self felt great in a bikini). It was more about taking time to enjoy the beauty around you-by golf  cart, boat, or your own legs, tour guide or no, under the sea or above. There was stunning beauty everywhere. It was about the people and turning strangers into friends. We had the privilege of helping an older lady load her car with the building materials she and her husband were using to fix up their house. In return she gave us a ride to our place. It was about stretching and pushing the boundaries of your comfort zone. It wasn't just snorkeling (though that was a huge one for me), it was eating new foods and sailing around for eight hours on a catamaran. It was talking to people I didn't know and walking to the bathroom by myself in the middle of the night with a flashlight. It was seeking out adventure and being willing to challenge your own way of thinking. It was absolutely incredible.
     Honestly, it has changed how we are wanting to live back on the main land. We want to simplify our lives-purge the material goods that are unnecessary. We want to see the world while still taking time to explore the beauty in our own backyard. We want to work to protect the ocean we fell in love with. We started using reusable grocery bags and really want to start recycling. (Not only does keeping the ocean clean and safe protect our new underwater friends, but also helps maintain jobs and protects natural food sources for so many people.) We learned to love each other better. It's hard to explain specifics, but I feel like after this trip, we are closer and more connected. We were reminded of the importance of laughter and not to take life too seriously. We learned the value in sharing our dreams, no matter how outlandish, and encouraging each other to pursue them and pray through them. I have gained a deeper love and appreciation for Jacob that I didn't have before. I can't explain it, but man is it incredible.
     All right, all right, I'll stop yapping. I just can't help it, I'm so excited!! Be prepared for at least one or two more blog posts featuring our time in the USVI. Jesus showed me some cool stuff that I have to share! Until next time, friends. Enjoy your surroundings, enjoy people, enjoy some rum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap