Stepping Out

     More often than not, big leaps of faith are scary. Usually they involve change, and let's be honest, none of us are big fans of change. Me in particular. Change is not my thing. Except when it is. Recently I began asking God for something different, seeking out changes in the area of my job. What did I want to do with my life? What would give me the purpose I was desperately longing for? Well, what were my passions? What type of job would not make me hate going to work every day? All these questions seemed to go unanswered for a long time. I got very restless, waiting for some sort of miracle, a note in my mailbox telling me exactly what I ought to do. But life doesn't work that way. So I began exploring just one question: What makes me come alive?
     The answer to that question was actually easier than I thought. After prayer and much thought, I realized that the one thing across the board that really makes me feel alive is helping people. It's so broad, I realize, but it helped point me in the right direction.
    Over the last 6 months or so, I began to be really dissatisfied with my current job. I didn't feel like I had any purpose in it, like I was doing anything useful. More and more it felt like getting paid to be a punching bag for people's ridiculous expectations and first world problems. Very few customers I came into contact with were actually nice, much less gracious and patient. Few were genuinely thankful or understanding. It got really old. I felt like I wasn't being used in the way I had always wanted. What impact was I actually having? Don't get me wrong. I know your job is a lot of what you make it. God can use people anywhere, in any job, and He does. But I knew it was time for a change. I started applying for jobs where I could help people and hoping for the best.
     I had one interview for a job I was really excited for. Then I had a follow-up interview. They ended up choosing someone else. I was really disappointed. I thought the job would have been perfect for me. God had other plans, though, and I'm glad He did! After applying for what felt like countless jobs with no replies, I finally got an e-mail last Wednesday. It was from a memory care facility for seniors. They wanted an interview. Honestly, I was confused. Why would someone contact me when I had absolutely zero experience? But I still called for the interview.
     When the interview was finished, she made it sound like a sure thing. She told me she would contact me within 2 days. At the end of those 2 days, I heard nothing. I was full of anxiety. What was happening? Had I come this far to be let down? The job really felt so right for me. I had had a good feeling. Now, though? Was I just being strung along? Maybe God was trying to show me we don't always get what we want, I thought. But I felt like He told me to be patient. He had everything in hand. There were even Scriptures in my devotional reassuring me that He had the best plans for me and that He would take care of our most basic needs. This left my heart at peace. Mostly.
     Yesterday I heard from the employer with an official job offer. I was absolutely thrilled. God had answered all our prayers! He was faithful, same as always. All this time He had been reminding me that He is never late or early, but always on time.
    So what does this all mean? Well, my last official day at Starbucks is October 13th. That's crazy surreal, still. We are still working on when I can do my orientation for my new job. I will be a caregiver in an assisted living center. I could not be more excited about this. Honestly, it's really terrifying, but feels like a great fit for me. I'm under no illusions that it will be easy or anything like that. But I believe it will be so rewarding (and I'm really excited about getting to wear scrubs, too. Hehe!). I haven't had a new job in 5 years, so I'm wrestling with that a bit, but I know that where God calls He equips.
     Be on the lookout for a reflection post from me, soon. I plan to look back on my five years at Starbucks, all the good and bad.
   Thanks everyone for your support and love. Blessings to you all as you follow the call of the Lord on your lives.

<3 Lovely Little Introvert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap