Introverts: Real People and How to Deal with Them

     If my blog's title didn't quite give it away, I am an introvert by nature. I used to resent it frequently, but I have come to accept myself that way. (I am still working on what comes after acceptance, but that's another story.) Anyway, a few days ago I was talking with my Mom about my being an introvert and just how I deal with people in general. She said that most people don't know how to handle introverts and are sometimes (perhaps even unconsciously) afraid of them. So I wanted to take this opportunity to explain introverts to you and a little about how to handle them--you know, so it's less scary next time you encounter one.
     1. Introverts don't hate people.
          It's a common thought that introverts just don't like people, but it isn't true! Most introverts love being with people, just not all the time. And it's typically easier when it is one-on-one or just a small group of people. Anything larger tends to create some anxiety, which is why a lot of introverts tend to stay away from large parties (especially if they don't know most of the people). We do, however, like our alone time, just so you know. Sometimes we have to be in a room where no one is talking. So we can think, or read, or-you know- watch Netflix. :)
     2. Introverts don't know how to have fun. 
           This is a major misconception about introverts. It's not that we don't like to have fun, our version of fun may just look different than yours. You might like to go out dancing for fun. We typically like doing quieter things like going to a movie or dinner. Sometimes we like bowling and laser tag, too. Introverts, however, often tend to be a little less adventurous (though not all are, I've had a few introvert friends that love taking big risks and doing crazy things).
     3. Introverts often write better than they speak.
            At least for me personally, and quite a few of my introvert friends, we are able to communicate better through writing. It's easier, I think, because we are able to think about what we want to say instead of relying on us to come up with something on the spot. That is a lot of pressure. Whenever I try to talk in public, my words don't make a lot of sense. Which is why I'm an English major, I think. :)
     4. Introverts are very sensitive people. 
           It isn't intentional, but introverts tend to take words very personally, even if they weren't meant to hurt feelings. It's hard for us to take criticism in public as well. The opposite is also true. When something nice and wonderful is said to us, we take that with us and remember it forever.

     With that being said, then, how do you deal with introverts? Here are a few tips for ya. Invite us to do things with you. We like our alone time, but not constantly. We like being with people, too. Sometimes it's okay to push us. We get comfortable in our shells and need to be encouraged outside. Often we regret not participating, but we are too scared to join in without encouragement. Just be sensitive to when we've had too much. Know that many introverts struggle with opening themselves up to people, It is often hard for us to divulge really personal information, but be patient with us. Keep asking. Lastly, and most importantly, respect that we are introverts and don't try to change us. We can't become extroverts, and honestly, that's okay.
Just call me your little turtle. :)

The Lovely Little Introvert 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap

The Age Old Question for Writers