Little House Wannabe

     When I was little we watched Little House on the Prairie all the time. I used to want to live in the 1800s just like them-the clothes, the cooking, school, chores-I wanted to do it all. After that, I pretty much fell in love with that whole historical period. One Halloween my Nanny even made me and my American Girl doll dresses with bonnets. For the longest time that was all I would read and write, too. So much historical fiction! I always pictured myself as the heroine and could get lost among the tall grass for hours.
     Deep in my heart I always had that desire to be a Laura Ingalls Wilder wife. You know, the really wifely, home-makery kind of wife. While I haven't tried my hand at making homemade bread yet and I don't have a spot for a vegetable garden, I try do what I can. Recently I've gotten into making my own cleaning supplies (thanks to Pinterest). Seriously, if not for Pinterest, probably none of these creative, homey, wifey things would happen. I've tried a few things that I have really liked and I thought I would share them with you! (Before I get into the recipes themselves, one thing I love about these is that they are all ingredients I have in my house and if I don't, I can get them all at the dollar store.)

All Purpose Cleaner 
-2 cups water
-1/2 cup white vinegar
-1 tsp. Dawn dish soap
-1 tsp. baking soda

Because of the baking soda, this did get really foamy once I mixed it and tried to pour it into my spray bottle. Just pour slowly, all should be good. I have used this for my sink in the bathroom, counters, and even sprayed it on the floor to do a quick mop. It worked great in all areas. 

Shower Spray
-1 cup water
-1 cup white vinegar
-1 cup Dawn dish soap

I sprayed this in my tub yesterday instead of Scrubbing Bubbles. I let it set for a few minutes and came back. It worked great! It felt best once I rinsed everything really well with water after, but it still got all the dirt out. 

Floor Spot Cleaner
-3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
-1 Tbsp. baking soda
-1 healthy squirt of Dawn 

My husband and I have a cat and she sometimes leaves messes on the floor. I'm also a klutz. This recipe has come in handy so many times. I mix everything up in a cylindrical container or bucket and dip my scrubbing brush in. Then I scrub the stain on the carpet and let it dry. Once it's dry I just vacuum over it. It's not a miracle worker or anything, but it gets the job done. (I've read in a few places not to pour this directly on to the stain, but only to dip the brush. I haven't tried, so I'm not sure what would happen if you poured it....) 


Hopefully you enjoy these recipes. Let me know how they work for you! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap