Live Life Like a Five-Year-Old

     I've not been good about blogging here lately, so I'll give a quick life update before I get too far into the topic on my heart.
     It has been a full year already and it's only April! January 27th I got hitched. Jacob is my best friend, my partner in crime, the one who never stops challenging me and loving me even when I can't love myself. He makes me a better version of myself and I could not have asked for more. Currently we are planning our honeymoon as we weren't able to go right after the wedding. Caribbean paradise is being much anticipated.
     As for me, I'm trying to figure out this wife thing. Cooking is not exactly my strong point, so I've had some challenges there. The crockpot and pressure cooker have become good friends of mine. Thank God for those and easy recipes even I can follow without much trouble. Other than that, I'm just trying to finish school strong (3 more classes until graduation and all English lit) and stay focused at work. I transferred to a new store in February. They were looking for a supervisor and I went willingly. I had been praying about a transfer for a while due to increased (almost daily) anxiety attacks. They were getting progressively worse and I knew I needed to do something. The Lord provided me with my current spot at a smaller store close to home and around the corner from my parents. I absolutely love it. The partners are so great and welcomed me warmly. The regulars are quirky and crazy but awesome. I fell in love quickly and adapted well to my new little family. We are a strange bunch, but "practically perfect in every way."
     Onward to the meat of the post!!
     Lately I've been contemplating adulthood and all that entails. It's not quite as glamorous as I thought it would be when I was eight. There is more freedom, sure, but also loads more responsibility. We stress ourselves out to the point of enjoying nothing with life passing by in a blur. I realized a few weeks ago that I do this, too. I get so stressed out about work and cleaning and bills and homework that I forget to enjoy all the little things that make life great.
     What brought on this realization you ask? Simply put, a cinnamon roll. Let me explain. I was at work and these grandparents brought their granddaughter in for a special treat. A little girl about five years old with curly blonde hair and pretty eyes stood in front of the pastry case, her tutu dress all fluffy and adorable. "Well what treat do you want?" Grandma asked her, holding her up so she could get a better look. She eagerly pointed to a big morning bun (our version of a cinnamon roll) and exclaimed, "That one! That one!" Grandma put her down and she started jumping up and down, spinning around, shouting about her roll. I couldn't help laughing at her contagious and childlike joy. When I finally handed it to her, all warm and cinnamony, you would've thought I gave her the world. She couldn't stop smiling.
    It got me wondering when I stopped seeing life like a five-year-old. When did I stop getting giddy about cinnamon rolls? Or more important: why? Because I was told I should, so I listened. Now I'm challenging myself not to listen to that advice, to enjoy the heck out of everything. Get giant cinnamon rolls and eat them with big glasses of milk, make blanket forts, build snowmen, play Monopoly for three hours. Pick flowers, paint pictures, play with Playdough. Let yourself be a kid again. Let yourself find joy in the small things. We only get to live this life once. Do it right. Do it like a five year old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap