Table for One, Please

     I've always been a little indifferent towards Valentine's Day. Like why do we have to celebrate love only one day a year? Has it become that cheap? The other part of me has lamented the fact that I have never had a Valentine. My one relationship was in the Valentine's off season. It's cheesy, but there's just something about the beautiful flowers and heartfelt notes. (And I've always wanted to get one of those giant cards...I don't know why.) And I would love to plan some super awesome surprise for someone, too. So as we have come into February, I have been reminded again just how single I am. You know, the culture gives the word such a negative connotation. It's looked on as something to be pitied, like, "Poor thing. She's alone on Valentine's Day. How sad." Sucks for all us singles. Or does it? (Hold that thought for a minute). 
     Growing up, when people talked about loving themselves, I thought it was selfish. Shouldn't they just be focused on loving other people? Only last year did I begin to understand that loving yourself is not a bad thing. The Bible even says "Love your neighbor as yourself." It's hard to know how to love your neighbor when you don't know how to love yourself. So I've been on this track to discovering how to do that for myself. One of my favorite models for learning to love yourself (and simultaneously be single) is Mandy Hale. She's an author, blogger, and awesome single lady. She wrote a post on her blog "The Single Woman" about singleness and Valentine's Day. Here were two of my favorites that got me thinking:
     1) You have to love yourself before you ask someone else to love you. That really struck me. Before you get into a romantic relationship, you should know who you are and how to love yourself. You should be able to stand on your own feet as an individual. If not, you will be left looking for your validity and completeness in that person otherwise. Take time to ask if you love yourself. 
      2) You realize that you are the cake and a relationship is the icing...& with or without the icing, a cake is still a cake! I love cake of all kinds, but particularly red velvet and it is perfectly delicious without the icing. For me, that translates into: Even though I don't have a man, I'm still awesome. I can be lovely and funny and pretty by myself. 
     3) I don't have to be in a relationship to enjoy Valentine's Day! [This one was my addition] I plan on thoroughly enjoying and celebrating my singleness on Valentine's Day. I am going to enjoy hanging outwith me, getting dressed up, and I don't know what else. Maybe I'll buy myself flowers and chocolate. Whatever I do, I will enjoy this Valentine's Day learning what it means to love myself. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 
           Yours Truly,
The Lovely Little Introvert 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap