Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016!

     I feel like pretty much everyone starts looking back on the past year around this time. Perhaps it has grown a little cliche to do so, but I think it's necessary and helpful. So here are a few things I learned in 2015 if you care to read on:
     This past year was one of the hardest of my life. I dealt with heartache and depression and loneliness and confusion. I dealt with immense amounts of anxiety and fear. I was forced to cope with transition and loss.
     But I was also given love and hope. I was given Jeremiah 29:11 (I have a constant reminder that I wear and see every day). I was shown faithfulness and true loyalty. I was given strength. I was blessed with an immeasurable amount of healing. I was shown what it means to forgive and to give without anyone knowing or expecting anything. I learned what true friendship is.
     One thing I have struggled with for years is myself-who I am and what I'm meant to do. Well this year I think I got a glimpse from the Lord. He showed me that I am a fighter. I am caring and I love people deeply. I am creative and lovely and funny and just myself. I've learned to use my voice a little more this year. I've learned it's okay to say "no" and to tell people when they've hurt me. I've learned the importance of giving a compliment and receiving one. I've learned a little more about listening, too. I've learned that I can own my quirkiness and be happy wherever I am in life. I've learned that I am chosen and I am not a mistake. And no one gets to define me except the Lord.
     At the beginning of this year, God and I started calling 2015 The Year of the Lion Chaser because of a book that I'd read. The book is centered around a guy in the Bible named Benaiah who chased a lion into a pit on a snowy day. I prayed that God would give me the strength and courage I would need to chase whatever lions awaited in 2015. Looking back now on the past year, it isn't exactly what I originally had in mind, but God knew what He was doing. I chased lions I never knew I could chase. Lions I would have been absolutely petrified of if I had only known. And it was only because of my Jesus. Without Him, I would be....well I can't exactly say where I would be, but I can say with certainty it wouldn't be good. He was the only thing that got me through one of the worst years of my life. Only because He gave me so much hope and love and He never gave up on me. Though He didn't have to, He took time to prove Himself to me over and over again just so I would get it. And I feel like I'm just starting to....but oh how sweet it is.
     Every single year I tell myself I won't make any resolutions. I always get mad at myself for not doing them and wonder why I bother in the first place. So this year I'm making goals. Attainable goals. I want to enjoy life more. I want to start making plans for my future. I want to keep getting to know myself. More than anything I want to keep falling in love with my Jesus. Not just this new year, but every year to come.
     So what does 2016 hold? To be honest, I have no earthly idea. But I have this quiet hope and anticipation stirring in my chest that says it is going to be big. And I can't wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap