Poetry in Motion

     I'm sure you guys get tired of reading all of my introvert blog posts, but since that's the name of my blog, I've got to bring it up now and again. The other day I was painting and this one line popped into my head. I felt like I needed to write it down and once I did, it was like this tumbling, messy waterfall of words. I haven't written any poetry type stuff in a while, but I think this qualifies. (Fair warning, it is a smidge long, but with the format, I think it's a pretty quick read.) I wanted to share it, so read it if you want. Or don't. :)
     Love you all for reading my crazy thoughts.


Sometimes it sucks
Being stuck in your own thoughts so much.
So many thoughts, conversations that never take place,
Ideas. Floating, floating.
No discernible beginning or ending.
Amidst all the quiet when no one's around
Sometimes it gets unbearably loud.
Hands over your ears just won't do
The noise is inside you and there is no
Off switch.
You want to scream, "Make it stop!"
But you know there's no use.
What's worse is you can't let any of it out.
Your mouth won't move more than it needs
And no other mediums quite do the trick.
So you're stuck, in limbo,
With no earthly idea what to do or where to go.
The experts are closet comedians-
They try to tell you it's all normal.
You're supposed to like it.
Born this way, they say.
Some days the solitude is nice.
Other days I fly about in a panic
Looking for a way to escape.
My chest is tight.
No one gets it.
This introvert life is
No walk in the park.
Sometimes we want to hear our own voice
Just simply to make sure we aren't
Going crazy,
But we're afraid to speak up.
In our minds'eye our vocal chords
are rubbed raw
From all the talking we do.
The silent cries for help, for freedom and escape.
Playing out countless scenarios and outcomes
That will never come to be.
The lies that we repeat
Like a broken record,
Old and out-dated.
Walking through life believing that
Because we aren't loud like the rest
We are not valued,
Have nothing important to say.
So we turn away,
Shrinking further into our shell,
Choosing one madness
Over another.

You extroverts out there
I get it.
You do you.
Most days I even envy you.
You are confident,
Assertive,
Sure of what you want and
Attacking like lions chasing prey.
The world couldn't run without you.
We need people like you.
But what we don't need,
No matter what you may believe,
Is for you to try and change us.
Introverts trying to be extroverts is like
Photoshopping parts and pieces
To make the ideal woman's body
Because she is not good enough on her own.
We would die if we tried to live
A life like that.
Not because it is wrong, but
Because it is not for us.
Don't try to make us believe
We would be better off like you.
It simply isn't true and
Most days we know that.
And if we're being honest
We don't always know what we want or need.
So much gray,
So little black and white.
And since this has all been brought to light
You seem interested. Intrigued.
What can you do then
Since we don't want to be changed?
Just be.
Be accepting of someone different than you.
Be understanding that we process things in ways
Other than what you're used to.
Be available if we ever do find our outer voice.
We just want to know it's okay
For our hearts and our heads
to be crazy messes, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Finding Nemo Taught Me About Life

The Age Old Question for Writers

Why "Fake it 'til you make it" is Total Crap